Partner Otway Denny has litigated numerous cases in state and federal courts, including product liability cases involving chemicals, automobiles and other vehicles and construction equipment. He has extensive experience in the defense of personal injury claims and other tort matters. He has handled matters involving plant and refinery explosions, including incidents at major facilities in the Gulf Coast area. He has also handled cases involving professional liability litigation and commercial litigation.
Related services Key industry sectors
- Mass tort and toxic tort disputes • Energy
- Product liability • Transport
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Construction disputes
- Catastrophic and mass disaster disputes
Key industry sectors
- Represented as lead counsel for a large energy company regarding a plant explosion that resulted in 15 deaths and over 4000 claims. Several cases were tried that resulted in settlements favorable to the client. All claims were eventually resolved.
- Represented as lead counsel a Houston-headquartered, international chemical company in several explosions at a refinery. One explosion resulted in 23 deaths and hundreds of injuries. The other two accidents resulted in one and two deaths. Several cases were tried and resulted in favorable verdicts for the client.
- Represented a regional transportation company when a bus rear-ended a private automobile in a Houston HOV lane which resulted in the death of a child. The case was settled favorably.
- Represented as lead counsel one of the world’s leading manufacturers in which a tractor-trailer rig fell over, crushed and burned a vehicle containing a family resulting in the death of several members of the family. The case was resolved.
- Represented as lead counsel a metal components manufacturer in an explosion of a vessel at a facility in Houston resulting in the death of eight people. The cases settled with very little contribution from our client.
- International Society of Barristers
- American Bar Association, Delegate in the House of Delegates
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Texas, Board of Directors, past Chair
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow − Board of Trustees, past Chair
- Houston Bar Association, past President
- Houston Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow − Board of Directors, past Chair
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, past President
- International Association of Defense Counsel − Defense Counsel Trial Academy, trial faculty, 1994
- American Board of Trial Advocates, past Chapter President
- Defense Research Institute
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2013-2014